Pictured above, founder of the Medical Club Dr Charles Sefton O’Neill.
We’re delighted to share that St Ann’s has benefited from a generous donation from The Medical Club, a club set up by a local GP almost a century ago.
The Medical Club was founded in 1920 by local GP and radiologist Dr Charles Sefton O’Neill, from Altrincham General Hospital. It provided a forum for local consultants and GPs to keep up to date with the latest medical developments as well as offering an opportunity for regular social gatherings.
Speakers from all walks of life addressed the meetings, which were hosted by members of the club in their own homes.
Originally known as The Altrincham District Medical Club, the name of the organisation was changed to The Charles O’Neill Medical Club following the death of its founder.
The club was finally dissolved in April 2014, and the funds remaining in the Club account, totalling £3,600, have been donated to St Ann’s to help us to support local patients.
It was the wish of the club to support a local charity and what better than St Ann’s Hospice which does so much good work. Edmund Hoare, Honorary Secretary of The Medical Club
Eamonn O’Neal, Chief Executive of St Ann’s, said: “We’re enormously grateful to have received this kind donation, and it’s great that it has come from an organisation which has played such an important part in both the lives of its members and the local community for decades.
“We’ve been working with GPs and consultants for almost half a century, from the early days of the hospice, and it means a lot that this donation will help us to care for even more local patients.”
We need to raise £16,000 every day to keep the hospice doors open
We’re more than just a charity to our patients. Every single penny donated makes a huge difference to their lives.Click here to find out how you can get involved.